The Best Ever Chewy Choc Chip Cookies
This is a recipe I have found online and tweaked a little to make it my own. Everyone who tries these cookies loves them! They are crunchy around the edges and chewy and soft in the centre. I make these literally once a week, naughty I know but they are usually the only treat we have in the house. Definitely give them a go! They only take about 10 minutes to prep and then 15-20 minutes cooking time depending on the size you roll them. Enjoy!
- 125g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Just under ¼ cup caster sugar (you can do the full ¼ if you like – I find it makes them a touch too sweet though)
- 1 tsp vanilla (I use Vanilla bean paste but you can use essence or extract)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup Plain flour
- ¾ cup Self Raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips (I use Cadbury Milk Chocolate chips and feel they are the best!)
Pre-heat oven to 160°C and line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Place melted butter, both sugars and vanilla into a medium sized bowl and mix until well combined. Add both flours and baking powder (no need to sift) and mix gently just until the flour is incorporated well into the wet ingredients (do not over-mix as this leads to tough cookies). Add chocolate chips and work them into the dough with your hands, stop as soon as the chocolate is evenly distributed so as to not over-work the dough. Roll into balls and place onto baking tray, then press them down with your hand to flatten. Place into oven and let bake for about 5 minutes. Once you see the cookies rising, grab a fork and gently knock the air out of the cookies – this stops the cookies from rising too much and becoming doughy. Bake for a further 10 – 15 minutes or until the edges of the cookies become golden (keep a close eye on them so they don’t overcook and become crunchy. If the whole cookie is golden, you’ve left them too long) and remove from oven. Let cool completely on tray (this is so that the cookie can continue to cook slightly from the heat of the tray). Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days – if they last that long! Enjoy!
Tip: For even chewier cookies, make them larger (I use about 2-3 tablespoons of dough per cookie for large cookies – usually only fitting 6 per tray as a size comparison for you!)
- You can also make triple choc chip cookies by adding 1/3 white choc chips, 1/3 dark choc chips and 1/3 milk choc chips instead of all milk choc.
- Add nuts for a different twist. To do so, just replace half of the choc chips with half a cup of the nuts of your choice (Hint: White choc and macadamia are always a winner in this house)
- To make these even more chocolatey, you can add 3 tbsp cocoa when you add the flour to make the cookie itself chocolate as well!